Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Across The Universe

We just finished watching Across The Universe, the movie (musical?) that uses Beatles songs to create a fictional story set in the late 1960s. My sister hadn't seen it before, and she rented it along with a bunch of others - not realising that I already owned the DVD!

If you haven't seen the film yet, and are at all interested in the Beatles' music, watch it as soon as you can, as it is totally made of win!. The film doesn't actually feature the Beatles at all, though - it's a fictional tale similar to but NOT in the same realm as Mamma Mia.
It helps to know a bit about the Beatles' history, as there are a lot of in-jokes and references to the band; most of the characters in the film have names that reference the Beatles' back catalogue - the six main characters are called Jude, Lucy, Maxwell, JoJo, Prudence, and Sadie!

As in most musicals, every now and then a song starts up out of nowhere, but it's interesting to see how the director has used the songs in a way that changes the original meaning - Oh! Darling becomes a duel between two band members; Dear Prudence is a "coming out" song of a more literal kind; and the turbulent struggles of two men dealing with their demons is the backdrop of Strawberry Fields Forever, one of the best sequences in the movie:


The movie has been presented extremely well, and features some striking imagery and fantastic choreography. And the actors have been well cast - they have done a sensational job of this, and I hope they all go on to other good projects soon!
We've all been singing songs from the movie since we watched it. But what's weird is that my sister didn't even know half of the songs from the movie! Like, where has she been?
So... I guess I'll be loaning some of my CD collection to her in the next few months!

2 comments:

caf said...

Awesome.

I didn't actually know they recorded and put out a DVD of the musical (and I call myself a beatle maniac... p'tui *beats self with an imaginary stick* <-it's not quite worth a real one)

As much as I don't like my chances at trying to find a copy in my local video store here, I shall so be looking for it anyway.

Thanks for the review Neb :)
*hugs*
-:)nova

p.s.
I agree, that bracket up there is far too long.

Neb said...

Why wouldn't they release this movie onto DVD? It was reasonably popular. (Oh, I also have the soundtrack now, but not the deluxe 2 disc version that I was after. Never mind. I still have the movie to watch if I want to hear the other songs. And by the way, this parenthetical statement is far longer than yours...)