Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Spend A Little Time With Friends

I'll be working a fair bit over the next two weeks thanks to the Australia Day public holiday (which falls on a Tuesday this year, so most people will also take Monday off as well dammit), so I've made the most of the time at hand and spent it wisely for a change. That is, I've done things that were more productive than just sleeping or sitting around at home.

Yesterday, I had the gaping hole in my back wisdom tooth filled, after having the wind whistle through it for the past four months. Fortunately it wasn't a very deep hole, but it must have been a fairly extensive repair because I'm still a little tender on that side...
Because I don't have any private health insurance, I paid the whole amount out of pocket, for the privilege of having my mouth numbed and my tooth drilled. $140~ is a fair bit to pay for dental peace of mind, but it's worth it.

Today, I went to visit my friends in Warragul. I hadn't seen them since they moved back from the US, and I figured I was overdue.
We stopped for lunch; my friend insisted on paying for the meal, since she felt she owed me for the tickets to Dali I bought for her a few months ago. Unfortunately, she didn't seem to agree that paying $30 for three six-inch subs, plus drinks and snacks, was a fair price... slightly awkward scene in a queue as she negotiated something cheaper...
We then went back to her place, where her and her husband's cats decorated me with hair - I was wearing head-to-toe black, what the hell was I thinking?! - and we watched The Black Balloon:

The movie is excellent, and very confronting - and there were several scenes in it that I could relate to, and no, no-one in my family is autistic. My friend's husband pondered how Toni Collette manages to be in just about every Australian cinema release, and I said "She probably just has a good agent." j.k. she's awesome

We spent most of the afternoon discussing things, like how our jobs were going (not great, but it could always be worse) and what we were planning on doing with our lives. You know, the usual. But the best thing about spending time with them was that it gave me a chance to stop worrying about my own problems, and listen to others' - and of course offer support.

Then my friends had to go into town to chase up some homewares and do their grocery shopping; while they were checking out electrical goods, I snuck across to the Home Entertainment shop across the road and picked up some more music. I'm such a junkie for tunes, now that I have a half-dozen different MP3 players. Music Is Always Good.

Tonight, I'm going to give this on-line shopping thing a try... There are a few books that I'm having trouble getting through the usual channels - most of the bookshops I've asked have looked at me and gone, "Duh...?" but I suspect that's mostly due to the books being out-of-print or hard-to-find.

And I really ought to curb my spending, even though I've been doing just fine over the past few (busy, work-filled) weeks. Christmas seems to start a strange spending momentum in me; of course, having the stores reduce all of their stock after Christmas does not help much. ;)

I'll be good, I promise! In the meantime, thank you Katie and Randy for an awesome afternoon! Next time I'll bring the others with me (if they're available)!

3 comments:

Lottie Lynn said...

If you liked that movie, you might like the Korean film "Marathon". It's based on a true story about an autistic marathon runner in Korea. (And I learned how to say one of my favorite Korean commands from watching that film: "Bangu reul nagaso geesaeyo!" (Fart outside!) So what are those books you're trying to hunt down? I used to be in charge of pricing the rare and out of print books at the bookstore I used to work at, so I'm intrigued. Do tell more!

Anonymous said...

honestly, I'm not insane! But you seem to bring out that side in me!

Neb said...

Hey Loretta! Thanks for coming back to read the blog! It's not as picturesque as yours (and doesn't contain as much yummy food), but it's here, and people keep saying I'm too damn secretive, so...

The books are fine. Amazon has told me that they are on the way. I'll reveal all when they arrive!

And "Anonymous"... ;) That's typical of what happens when you take me out to lunch... ANYTHING can happen!