Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Flavors of Entanglement

After I went to the dentist, I decided to get myself another present for being such a good boy oh, all right, I just needed an excuse, so I went and bought myself Alanis Morissette's latest album "Flavors of Entanglement". It's pretty good - I usually don't "get" my albums until I've listened to them a few times, so I'll be listening to it for a while yet. Plus, it rounds out my CD collection nicely!

As a side project, I tried to look up some of Alanis' filmclips on YouTube - and I found some very strange clips indeed!
For instance, this:

A moodier and more, "dramatic"version of the Black Eyed Peas' single "My Humps"?!? WTF?!? Proof that the lady has a sense of humour!

Or this:

Alanis' first ever single, and it's NOT "You Oughta Know".
Warning: song contains early 90s hip-hop-stylin', plus that "Throw your hands in the air!" line that was lyric du jour, oh, about forty years ago... I particularly liked the "You gotta go for gold!" line in the chorus. Of course, it's not enough to keep your love at precisely the right temperature - you also have to somehow summon your inner Olympian! (Or at least a Commonwealth Games participant.)

Then, check this out:

Apparently she used to be known as the Debbie Gibson of Canada early on in her career... can't imagine why...
Bear in mind, she would have been barely out of her twenties here. And, I'll be honest - I actually like this song. Well, it's been stuck in my head ever since I heard it, so...


THIS...
is Alanis' "power ballad", complete with the moody film clip and the key change before the last chorus! This one isn't too bad, though she does get better at the ballads, I promise.

If that's not weird enough, check THIS out.
It's footage of a pre-teen Alanis, when she was a cast member of the Canadian TV show "You Can't Do That On Television"! I used to watch this show all the time when it was screened over here! Ha ha! Watch her and a bunch of other kids get green-slimed! ;P

Okay, it sounds like I'm picking on her. Not true! at least not entirely.
Who among us doesn't have some weird, potentially embarrassing stuff in their past? It's just that in Alanis' case, there happens to be archival footage of it on YouTube... and, though they are definitely relics of a bygone era, they really aren't that bad. You can definitely tell it's her, even in the early clips - there's no mistaking that distinctive voice!
The videos provide a nice contrast for where she is in her career right now, that's for sure. And I kinda wish her first two albums had been released over here...

No comments: