Thursday, October 15, 2009

Neb's Big Day in the Big City, Part Five

Skip to Part One of this topic by clicking here.
Otherwise you'll be reading this all back to front and that would be silly, now, wouldn't it?


We had spent so long waiting to get inside the exhibition that a minor problem came up - none of us had eaten a solid meal for nearly five hours. We had brought snacks and nibbles, but we had expected to go somewhere for lunch afterwards; we hadn't anticipated the long waiting time to get into the Gallery.

One of my friends has trouble with her metabolism; she needed to eat something immediately, or else she would likely faint. I did not want to leave her on her own, so I gave her a muesli bar that I had in my pocket, told her to eat it and wait outside for me, and I would try to find my other two friends in the exhibition to tell them we were going to wait outside for them.

Sounds like a good plan, right? Er... didn't quite work out that way.

First, I had to find either one of my friends. Simple enough in theory, but I had to:
a) find at least one of them in a huge crowd of people, most of whom were walking in the opposite direction
b) do it quickly, since I had someone waiting outside for me
c) try to have a good last look at the art, while I still could, and
d) try not to look suspiciously like an art thief. Silly, I know, but remember, there were several small and valuable pieces of jewellery in this exhibition as well, and I happened to be wearing a jumper with a big pocket in the front!

I have no idea how I managed to get around without getting arrested. I managed to walk back and forth across the entire exhibition space, several times, all the while looking agitated and distracted. I caught the eye of several of the security staff, and tried to look apologetic - I'm sure many of them paid close attention to me... or was it my imagination?
Anyway, I finally found one of my friends, who had no idea where the other person was - big surprise. I passed on the message, told them not to worry and take their time looking at the art, and promptly said my goodbyes to Dalí. Until next time...

Out in the foyer, my friend had wolfed down the nut-bar, but still needed something substantial to eat. She didn't really want to buy something from the Gallery cafe, as it was kinda pricey, but I'd promised my friends inside the show that we would wait for them inside (since I still had their train tickets).
In the meantime, I went to the Gallery shop to try and hunt down some posters and stuff, and bought the Liquid Desire program. At least that way, I could appreciate the art in my own time, and preferably without a bunch of people standing in front of it. ;)

After waiting about fifteen minutes, we decided, bugger it, let's eat something here. We sat and ate, with a view of the exhibition's exit so that we could catch our friends on the way out.
After another few minutes went by, with no sign of our art-bound friends, I tried calling their mobile phones to check their progress - no reply. Instead, I received a message from my sister, who had spent the afternoon with her partner enjoying the view from Southbank. They were at Federation Square; what were we doing now?
I replied: "We just came out of the show, and are waiting for X and Y to come out. Did you want to come over to the Gallery and wait with us?"
Their response: "Yep! See you soon!"

Ha ha ha. Nice and simple, right? Not quite. You see, the Gallery had thoughtfully extended their opening hours to allow all the extra people who showed up a chance to actually see the art. Unfortunately, they had sold the last tickets at about 3.30pm, and after 5pm, they locked the entrance doors to the public. We could get out, but no-one could get in.
I had not realised this. And soon, I saw my sister through the water-wall, but there was very little I could do to actually get to her.
She: "Are you coming out? It's freezing out here!"

Oops.

So now, we had to:
a) wait for our friends to come out of the show (who were expecting us to be waiting for them inside the foyer, and were not answering their phones), and
b) get out to our friends waiting outside. Oh, and let's not forget
c) get to Flinders Street Station in time for our train home!

Hahaha!!! Remember, back in Part One, how I said I could start to relax? Well, I stopped relaxing right about now. {=(

I checked the timetable, and realised that our train would not leave until well after the Gallery had closed, so all we had to do was wait out the front, and eventually the last two stragglers would get the hint. At this point, I regretted telling them to "take their time".
And it was getting cold outside.

Naturally, it all worked out in the end.
The last two members of our party were among the last people to leave the exhibition - trust them to get their money's worth! It turned out, both of them had brought their mobile phones with them, but they were in their bags, which were in the baggage claim room... X|
But they finally came out and joined the rest of the world, and we all made it to the station on time.
I managed to take a few quick photos of the city on the way to the station:


The rest are in my Nature Photos Album (which I'll admit is stretching the definition of Nature a bit, but I'll fix it up later, okay?).

On the way back home, we stopped by our friend's place for a bowl of Post-Dalí Soup and Banana Bran Muffins (with Compulsory Tea. My friend is British, you know).


And, that's it!

I would like to thank the following for their help in making this trip of a lifetime possible. Is so a trip of a lifetime! Well, it bloody well felt like it.
  • Salvador Dalí and his wife Gala, for producing the art, and giving us a reason to go and see it.
  • The National Gallery of Victoria, for hosting the Liquid Desire exhibition. Also, for staying open the extra time to allow all the other late patrons a chance to see this beautiful art.
  • The staff of NGV, for being incredibly patient and putting up with hundreds - no, thousands of people over the last few days of the show. I heard from many sources who went to see the art that it wasn't merely the last day that was so busy. There had been a huge crowd of people as far back as the Tuesday before! Eeep. No wonder they all looked a little frayed at the edges! Credit plus to all of you.
  • V/Line, for getting us to Melbourne and back on time. Beats driving there and back, that's for sure.
  • My co-workers at the shop; thank you very much for covering my absence, though you probably didn't realise why I'd taken the day off. I didn't want to have to drop a Sunday shift, because I know how hard it is working a weekend with the limited staff we have at the moment, but it seems that everyone else I know has the notion of the weekend being free time! Who comes up with these crazy ideas?!
  • My friends Katie, Trish and Andrew, for experiencing the art with me. I know not all of you thought it was worth the trip, but trust me - you would have regretted not coming to see it. Next time, we'll not leave it to the last minute, okay? ;)
  • Krissy and Drew - sorry you didn't stick around! You missed some awesome stuff. But I knew you couldn't stand around in a queue all afternoon (not entirely sure how we managed it ourselves), so I'm glad you guys made the most of your day. Also, sympathy for those who wanted to come, but had to pull out at the last minute.
  • Ma and Ray, for minding my nephew for us, so Krissy and Drew could come up and see Dalí with us. Well, you know how that turned out. ;D Next time, I'll honour my promise to steal a Renoir for you. And by steal, I mean "buy a print of".
  • Everyone else in the queue, who would probably have to be the most well-behaved and patient crowd of people I've ever seen, and indeed been part of. It proves to me that Art really does civilise people!
So much for art, hey? But, I still have to see this painting, so...
Someday...

No comments: