Saturday, October 3, 2009

Weird...

All systems appear to be go for the trip up to Melb. this weekend, but things got a little... weird.

I was meant to stay at home and attend to my nephew while my sister and her partner went up to see the Salvador Dali thing, but instead I wound up stuck in bed for two days (my ONLY TWO DAYS OFF FOR THE WEEK) because of a strange episode that happened to me on the Monday.

I had just seen off my friends, who had come around for a surprise visit at about 4 in the afternoon, when I suddenly noticed that something was affecting my vision.
It was a strange effect: it was similar to the kind of after-images you get when you look at a bunch of bright lights, like a cluster of street lights, except that I hadn't seen any sources of light to trigger the effect. I'll put up a mockup of what it was like when I get the chance.
It was a startling effect, and when I realised that they were kind of sticking around a lot longer than a regular glare effect, I thought, "uh oh, migraine".
So I took a paracetamol and went to bed. The visual effect faded after about 15 minutes, and I laid there waiting for the headache to start...

If this was in fact a migraine, it was a very peculiar one. The initial symptoms presented themselves very differently. Normally when I get a migraine, it starts with a sparkly blind spot thing that spreads out from the centre of vision, but this thing was just a bunch of inanimate spots, which looked almost exactly like the glare afterimage (they even did that colour-inversion effect when I closed my eyes). Also, they didn't last as long as the regular visual disturbance.

But the other weird part is that, even though I still felt all the other general crappy effects of a migraine, I didn't get a headache. At all. Well, I had a crampy feeling in my neck the next day, but I attribute that to needing a new pillow - well, I did just spend several hours in bed.
I'm not 100% sure that the painkiller I took helped with this, because it's unlikely that a single over-the -counter paracetamol tablet would work that well.

This is kinda disturbing. The research I've done suggests that this could be a migraine, as there's several different types of effect and symptom you can experience. But the general consensus is that it's unusual for migraines to suddenly change like that, so... I think I need to pay another visit to my doctor. X|

Anyways, I feel well enough now, so it looks promising for the weekend. And now my sister and her man are coming to the city with me! Onward Bound!

No comments: