Friday, July 25, 2008

Traralgon Bus Crash

Click these links to read the Herald Sun articles about the big bus/truck accident that happened yesterday:

Two Critically Hurt in Bus, Truck Crash
Bus Crash Victims Off Critical List

This happened about three hours before I was due in for work, and apparently traffic was backed up so bad people had to take detours around the accident site for several hours. My co-worker was one of them.
Two people on the bus were critically injured, including one passenger who was sitting up the front and received most of the impact. The rest of the passengers included young parents and children, and many received significant injuries. However, there were no fatalities.
Very scary stuff.
I drive along that section of road whenever I'm heading out that way, and I can understand how it happened. There's a bit of a hill before the place the semi-trailer pulled out, and you can't always see what's coming until you're over the crest. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been for the bus to stop in time.
They're recently changed the speed limit in that area because it was a bit of a traffic black spot. I wonder if they will do anything else now?

EDIT:
Since I wrote this, there have been another THREE significant road accidents in the area! What is going on around here? The SES has had one heck of a busy fortnight, I can tell you!

No comments: