Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Making of Mii

Okay, we've had the Wii for about a week now, and I've discovered something interesting: Making realistic representations of your friends and family from memory is a LOT harder than I expected.

One of the features of the Wii is the ability to create miniature in-game versions of yourself and your friends, which are called Miis. These work a lot like the avatars used in chatrooms and web forums, such that you have a graphical representation of yourself instead of just a bunch of anonymous text.

Because the Miis are used extensively in some of the games, it is useful to create not just one for yourself, but as many recognisable Miis as you can think of. I've gone through the list of just about everyone I know, starting with all the people who are likely to come and visit us to play the Wii.

But, there is a problem. The interface for creating Miis has many different customisations for face shape, hairstyle, eye type and etc. but it never seems to have exactly the one you want. Getting a recognisable hair style is hard enough (would it have killed them to include a curly hair setting?) but when you get to subtle details like how the eyes are set on their face, or the actual eye colour... Gah!
The worst part is having your subject take a look at your handiwork... and go, "Oh come on! I look nothing like that!!!"

Anyway, I found a Flash program that lets you design a Mii on-line - though you can't actually use your created Mii with your Wii games. It's basically a demo version of the real thing. And I've used it to create an approximation of my actual Mii. The real one looks very much the same, except the eyebrows are fuzzier and my eyes are not solid black. I think that black eyed look is really ugly.

I have also acquired a copy of WarioWare: Smooth Moves, and have played through most of the challenges. The only two bad points of the game are:
a) the non-intuitiveness of the mini-games. "I have to do WHAT?"
b) the random sensitivity of the Wiimote. "I'm waving the thing at the screen, what more do you need?!? OH NO! Now I've LOST!"
Now I know why so many Wiimotes get damaged... >gleep<

No comments: