Monday, August 4, 2008

Shameless Chupa Chups Promotion!!!

Speaking of Chupa Chups (and I was, but the way this blog is arranged makes the chronology a bit confusing)...
The place where I work has a huge display of these things standing quietly in the corner. I say huge, because it can hold 1,000 of the lollipops at once (assuming my calculations are correct, I'll check this up).
I spent a little while restocking it last night. It doesn't get much custom, because the smaller one on the counter is more prominent, but it is definitely a sight to behold. Just seeing this column of confectionery does something odd to the senses.

Anyway, that was what prompted me to mention the whole Salvador Dalí thing (check next post), so I've decided to dedicate some space to the humble lollipops. You can check out the Flash site and the corporate website for more info if you like (I suggest checking out the FAQs page under the "Brands" tab along the top. Note FAQ number four!)

Random Chupa Chups facts
  • Chupa Chups come from Spain! Olé!
  • The name means "Lick a Chups". They were originally just called "Chups" but a radio jingle led children to believe that the "chup a" part of the song was actually part of the name... and it kind of stuck.
  • The Spanish pronunciation is "Choopa Choops". We pronounce it as "Chuppa Chupps".
  • They have been around for 50 years! Happy birthday!
  • The company also makes Melody Pops, which we were never allowed to have as kids because they were way too noisy... ;(
  • Did I mention that Salvador Dalí helped to design the logo? (It's changed a bit since then, of course, but the daisy outline was his idea, as was the placement of the logo bang smack on the top of the lolly.)
  • You can buy miniature Chupa Chups decorations for your mobile phones! They're not edible, but they look just like a miniature version of the real thing.
  • The average price of a single Chupa Chup in Australia is 47 cents. (At least that's how much we charge for them.)
  • At the place I work, we sell about 19 different flavours, including some special 3-in-1 flavours like Strawberry-Orange-Kiwi.
  • If you were to buy all of the Chups on that display I mentioned above, it would cost you $A470.
  • My favourite flavour? Lemon Lime, or "Lime Lemon" as it's described on the wrapper.

No comments: