Friday, June 27, 2008

Lions Mural

This is the second set of "New/Old" photos of murals taken last year, only these aren't for Boolarra, but for Moe! I wasn't working with Over the Walls at the time this commenced, but I understand that it was commissioned by the local chapter of the Lions community club for display in the CBD of Moe.

My involvement with this one is a little complicated. I had been away from the studio for quite some time while this had begun, and I only showed up to pay my friends a visit - but somehow, I got talked into painting "just a little bit" of the mural to help out. Well, that little bit turned into "a little bit more", then "quite a bit more", until eventually I was helping out with a few friends the day before delivery of the mural, frantically putting in details at the last minute!

This first photo shows how the finalised mural looked when we left it. It is meant to resemble a wall covered with various historical artefacts and images of the Moe-Newborough area, dating back through the past century.



You'll see in the bottom left corner a small white rectangle; this is a list of all the people who worked on the mural. Even though I was only a ring-in, I still managed to get listed!

These three pictures are details of some of the pictures I painted. The first is a copy of the old Shire of Moe building (which is now owned by Federation Health).
The second is of the Sunicrust bakery, one of the local businesses to have provided employment to residents for many years (my Dad included). Yes, I know the car looks dodgy. I don't do cars very well.





I only painted part of the third image (of workers tending to the railway line at the start of the century), but I've included it to see if anyone spots the mistake.

This image shows Krys and myself painting on the mural in the wee hours of the night, the day before it was due. Man, that was a loooong night... and an even longer morning afterwards. (thanks, Krys, thanks Andrew!)


And the worst part of all this? Despite all that work we put in at the last minute, the artwork wasn't collected. Instead, three new panels were added to it for the next round of artists to work on!
[sigh...]
(And yes, I did actually wind up doing more work on this one - more pix to come!)

1 comment:

Neb said...

How interesting...
No one has spotted the mistake in that third detail image...
(Or maybe they just haven't said anything about it yet).

Does anyone know what the mistake was?